Monday, November 29, 2010

My Pet Lyla

When I was 6-7 years old, my family owned a young, black lab named Lyla. She was very affectionate and playful towards every and anyone she met. I trained her to fetch, roll over, and helped teach her to go outside instead of behind couches :P. She was my favorite pet until that horrible day...

One day, some neighborhood kids, along with some of my siblings and Lyla were playing outside in the front yard. Everyone was having fun so they failed to notice one of the little kids grabbing a ball in the middle of the street. It had seemed to have come out of nowhere; a old Chevrolet swiftly speeding down the street like a bullet, spontaneously threatning the life of the young child.

The car was right on par with the young child when all of a sudden, Lyla dashed to the child, knocked him out of the way and took the blunt of the hit. Alarmed by the sound, the rest of the neighborhood turned to see a crying child; sitting on the curb, and an injured lab in the middle of the street. Shortly after, Lyla got up slowly and limped into the back of our yard and died. we didn't get the licence plate of the the felon. Lyla will always be remembered by us. She taught me a lesson to watch those close to me and to give everything for something you believe in.

1 comment:

  1. I'm SO sorry about your good family member, Lyla. How horrible it must have been to be right there, even though it's been a long time I bet you replay it in your mind. Hopefully, you'll have a dog like that another day.

    ReplyDelete